OT: Date format: Was: Re: Mails not from me

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 3 09:58:24 UTC 2010

Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 11/02/2010 06:58 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
>> The only systems that makes sense to me are
>>
>> dd-mm-yy
>>
>> or
>>
>> yy-mm-dd
>
> Apparently everybody on this list forgot basic semantics.  Especially
> Mr. Jones here who thinks he would say: 2010 November 2nd and that it
> would make sense in any context.

yy-mm-dd goes in order of decreasing unit of time size. How can this not
make sense in any context ? It is after all exactly how any sort of
numerical quantity is presented.

I agree, you wouldn't go around saying "2010 November 2nd", but turn
that into a numerical date 20101102, as is commonly used in databases
etc., then it makes *much* more sense than dd-mm-yy as sorting by value
places the dates in correct chronological order.