I am trying to reinstall the boot loader.

Stephen stephen_o at rogers.com
Tue Nov 2 20:19:46 UTC 2010

On 11/2/2010 3:52 AM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On Tuesday 02,November,2010 03:18 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
>> at terminal, type....
>> sudo grub-mkdevicemap
>> sudo os-prober
>> sudo update-grub
>
> Steven,
> Aha! Had been thinking... (not often, :) )
> Since you had your grub installed via livecd
> (--root-directory=/media/xxxx /dev/sda), it may be that os-prober was
> not installed, (who needs os-prober in livecd?), so if the above didn't
> work, or you haven't got to go about it, then please install os-prober
> first.
>
> So when you boot up at Ubuntu, do the following first...
> sudo apt-get install os-prober
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get upgrade
>

> then....
>   >  sudo grub-mkdevicemap
>   >  sudo os-prober
>   >  sudo update-grub
>
> Hope this helps. Regards - Goh Lip

Thanks Goh Lip.

I got so frustrated after the a reboot the Ubuntu system wouldn't boot
either.
I tried the windows repair function, and that didn't work either.
So I just reinstalled Windows, and I tried to reinstall Ubuntu on sdb. I
was told in couldn't read the drive.
I repartitioned the drive and formatted it for windows to use.
I am debating if I should put Ubuntu back on the system.
If I had a floppy drive I would set Ubuntu to boot from floppy.
Since this system won't boot from a flash drive I don't have many
options. I don't want to mess around with the MBR any more.

Thanks again to every one who tried to help;
Stephen Oulton