Mails not from me

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 2 12:47:53 UTC 2010

On 02/11/2010 22:26, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looks like someone was trying to send a bunch of spam mail to the
> ubuntu-users to the list as me.
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-November/233157.html
>
> It wasn't me or any system I own/administer, broken or otherwise. From
> one of those mails:-

> 	by dev (Postfix) with SMTP id 7708995A8540
> 	for<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>;
> 	Tue,  2 Nov 2010 05:15:32 -0500 (CDT)
>
> Where 175.107.158.213 is:-
>
> k9.ausics.net           A       175.107.158.213
>
> Only person I can see using that address on this list is Res.

Frightening, isn't it? :-(

Especially in the light of where he is working.

Makes one wonder how safe the rest of us are.

>         by chlorine.canonical.com with esmtp (Exim 4.69)
>         (envelope-from<res at ausics.net>) id 1Oibgy-0001SE-DD
>         for ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com; Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:23:40 +0100
>
> So I guess he's trying to get me blocked for spam. Nice.

Luvly...... :-( .

> I've blocked that host from mailing this list which should stop the
> mails coming through. Apologies for the disruption.

Any of this in the area of something which needs to be investigated by
the Australian Federal Police as Res, if that is who is the alleged
perpetrator and, from what I last know, is here in the Australian
northern state of Queensland? The AFP are "just up the road from me" and
I know that they are just itching to earn yet more brownie points......

BC

--
The sex was so good that even the neighbours had a cigarette.