Virtualization (was Wine?)

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Tue Nov 2 04:56:20 UTC 2010

On 11/01/2010 10:57 PM, Luis Paulo wrote:
> IMO, If someone thinks virtualization will make os or software run
> faster, didn't understood what is virtualization.
> So I was saying don't know what is meant by can't run "very good" on a
> virtual machine.

I don't even understand this statement.

> About the advantages, I was not trying to be exhaustive. Those are the
> ones I think is harder to do without virtualization.
> You had already mentioned backup with lvm snapshot, I think.
>
> If anyone wants to add more, please do.
>
> But, after reading Russ response again, I'm not sure if he don't have
> a point.As I said, imo, of course video editing and sound editing apps
> will not "run better" (as in faster) in a virtualized
> environment. That's not the point, they will run slower.

You must be completely oblivious, or ignorant to virtualisation and vga
passthru technology that virtualisation can bring with hardware assisted
virtualisation.  This is direct and complete control over the graphics
adapter in your computer.  Yes, right now it's might not be for the
faint at heart, because it requires some work but soon enough the world
will be able to utilise it.

> What I don't know if those will work as if in the native os and
> hardware (even if slower), or if they will work at all?
> My concerns are with the available graphics card abstractions and the
> drivers for it.

What is this even supposed to mean?  The latter part is the only thing
that possibly makes sense and even then I'm a bit hazed by exactly what
you're meant to be implying.

> So, for example, can we play battlefield on a windows client? :) I
> didn't find any googling with someone that really tried it, but it
> seems no (no compatible graphics).

As I pointed out to the OP of this thread, you guys must have missed the
memo on the latest VMWare release.  You know, the one that adds full 3D
acceleration, the one that now supports Aero and gives you a decent
rating? You know the one that is able to play full 3D games?