Safely Remove Drive needed twice

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 04:45:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Further to the earlier reply, I just 'fired up' Maverick Meerkat,
> immediately upgraded it, and then ran both Nautilus 'browser' and
> Nautilus 'file manager'.
>
> As I already stated, there is absolutely no difference between them.
> Whichever way you run it, it always comes up the same.

Strange.  I have done nothing to change the default settings, and they
are very much different on my Maverick Meercat.

> The only difference I CAN see is that the there is no mention of
> "browser" in the main (?)tool bar, it simply contains your logon name,
> and the version in 10.10 is Nautilus v2.32.0 whereas in 10.04.1 it is
> v2.30.1.

Not sure what the "main (?)tool bar" is....

> F9 works as expected and so does F3.

If I run the "File Browser" (aka: nautilus --no-desktop --browser %U),
so do mine.  BUT if I run the "File Manager" (aka: nautilus), F9 and
F3 do nothing and the options for them are not in the View menu.

> Why not uninstall nautilus (using Synaptic Package Manager) and then
> re-intall it - just to be sure that all the bits are properly in place?

Because that will force uninstall of gnome-session, which I'm pretty
sure I don't want to do.

I'm fine with it just the way I have it now - I've created a keyboard
shortcut for the browser mode and it's also in my Main Menu->System
Tools menu, so I'm happy.

Try this: open a terminal window and type in 'nautlius<return>' and
see if that's different from 'nautilus --browser<return>' - whence did
you install your Ubuntu?  I downloaded the CD ISO and used that plus
the network download.

Mark