Possibly OT: networking under VirtualBox

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 01:22:17 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 13:40 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>
>> Hmm...well, you might want to check whether it is due to restore points
>> or if it is just simply that he has accumulated that much files and
>> might want to seriously consider getting two usb/firewire drives to keep
>> copies of his files.
>
> Thanks to everyone. I've forwarded the emails to him and he's poking
> around to see what is what. I would like to see him install Ubuntu to
> that laptop, as we ran the live CD version and it worked well! My goal
> is for our Non-Profit to go totally Open Source, and then crow about it!
> I keep harping that it makes no sense to take a small donation from an
> elderly "church lady" and then hand it over to the world's richest man.
> That is SIN in my book. Pure and unadulterated sin. :) Ric

Another area of wasted space is all those $NTinstall$ "back-out"
directories and their contents from Windows updates - they are a total
waste of space unless you really like going back to buggier, less
secure unfixed states of Windows.  Temp files and $NTinstall$s are
probably the biggest wastes of space.

I also encountered one lady's machine where she had 40GB of disk
space, and 39.5GB of it was in use.  Turns out that about 16GB of it
was old installer files that were never removed, and about another
3-4GB were Norton "backup" files that also were never used or cleaned
up.  Of course, with her new 320GB hard dirve, she doesn't need to
worry about all that wasted space so much, but I cleaned it up for her
anyway.

Now can we return ot a real Ubuntu discussion?  :-)

Mark