upstart, plymouth and boot

Merwin merwin.irc at gmail.com
Mon May 31 14:17:28 UTC 2010

Le lundi 31 mai 2010 à 22:08 +0800, Goh Lip a écrit :

> Merwin, this is beyond me, meaning I don't really know. But since
> plymouth pre-start script are normally not run, only on shutdown,
> thought I refer this plymouth.conf to you so you can see that is the
> case. So I suggest you modify this to make this not the case, if that
> is even possible.
>
> But I  wonder how you did this pre-plymouth  (before they put in
> plymouth)?
>
> Anyway, as I said, maybe this is way beyond me; sorry for the noise and
> good luck. Hopefully others here can help you.
>
> Regards - Goh Lip
>
> ps: Interesting thing you're doing here. (the passphrase in the usb, can
> still boot with the usb not removed?)

Yes it can, we just want to be sure our customers don't forget to unplug
the key, for security reasons :-)

>  Any website you can refer us to
> on this?

To use an USB key to boot using a crypted / ? There are scripts already
installed on ubuntu (look at cryptroot).

You can also read:

http://www.matthew.ath.cx/articles/cryptkey

(I don't use this way here, because I have to look over all the plugged
usb drives. But if you know the UUID of the usb disk, you can use this).