upstart, plymouth and boot

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Mon May 31 14:12:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010 14:13:48 +0200, Merwin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Introduction
> ============
>
> I'm working on a computer where / is crypted using cryptsetup. The
> passphrase is stored on an external USB key.
>
> When I boot my computer, a script placed in the initramfs mounts usb
> keys and try to find a key.key file. if found, it will be used to unlock
> the main disk.
>
> Problem
> ============
>
> I want to write a script that "pause" the boot until the usb key has
> been removed. The script part is my problem and not the subject of my
> mail. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, and so, upstart.
>
> I would like to write a message during the splash screen, showing
> "Please remove the USB key and press enter..." until the usb key has
> been removed.
>
> What I did
> ============
>
> I wrote a file.conf in /etc/init with this:
>
> start on started plymouth-splash
> task
> script
> echo "JUST BEFORE"
> /bin/plymouth ask-question --command="echo" --prompt="It works?" sleep 5
> end script
>
> Nothing happended during boot. So, if somebody could show me an example
> of how to show a message using plymouth during the boot with upstart, I
> will be very happy !
>
> Thanks for your help and sorry for my english, I'm French.

I think the following bug report sounds like it addresses the issue
you're seeing:

ubuntu-logo does not implement display_question callback
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/plymouth/+bug/509384

>From what I gleaned from the comments section, this is an issue with the
theme and not with plymouth. If that's the case, you may have to search
for another plymouth theme that includes a script section for the
display_question callback function, or give a go at tweaking Ubuntu's.

--
sktsee