Where's my grub2?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 29 21:48:55 UTC 2010

On 05/29/2010 01:24 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Sort of like 'Where's Waldo'...
>>
>> Multiboot 9.10 & 10.04. Both have grub-pc (grub2) installed. However the
>> actual grub2 being used is on the 9.10. So here's my question:
>>
>> Is there an easy command to determine which grub2 is being used?
>> For example if I'm in 10.04 and I send time modifying /etc/default/grub
>> nothing much will happen even if I use 'sudo update-grub'. Reason being
>> is that the system is using the 9.10 grub2.
>>
>> Seems to be way too many grub- options to choose from anymore:
>> $ grub-
>> grub-bin2h            grub-mkfont           grub-probe
>> grub-editenv          grub-mkimage          grub-reboot
>> grub-install          grub-mkisofs          grub-script-check
>> grub-mkconfig         grub-mkpasswd-pbkdf2  grub-set-default
>> grub-mkdevicemap      grub-mkrelpath        grub-setup
>> grub-mkelfimage       grub-mkrescue
>
> I would say roughly double the number of grub1 grub- commands! Progress?
>
> Unless you want to use hexdump and figure out from its output at what
> partition core.img is pointing, the simplest would be to use
> bootinfoscript's output or find the section of code in bootinfoscript
> where this is done.

Thanks! Forgot about bootinfoscript. That actually does the job as I can
see that the grub2 in use is sda5 (karmic) and my sda7 (lucid) is not
from the 'Boot sector info:':

====
sda5:

    File system:       ext4
    Boot sector type:  Grub 2
    Boot sector info:  Grub 2 is installed in the boot sector of sda5 and
                       looks at sector 205505817 of the same hard drive for
                       core.img, but core.img can not be found at this
                       location.
    Operating System:  Ubuntu 9.10
    Boot files/dirs:   /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda7:

    File system:       ext4
    Boot sector type:  -
    Boot sector info: