Can't boot Lucid after upgrade from Karmic

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 29 21:37:44 UTC 2010

On 05/29/2010 10:08 AM, Tony Pursell wrote:

> fstab and menu.lst are at http://ubuntu.pastebin.com/mVyacMHN
>
> Did these from the live USB.  Can't get the output from blkid as I
> cannot boot at all now, not even with the Karmic kernel. Did the
> update-initramfs cause this?

To the best of my knowledge, no. Unless perhaps you had corrupted
images, but then you would have see errors following the command.

> So it looks likes re-intstall time. So any advice on this would be
> welcome.  I will want to rescue my data in /home and probably keep it
> in a separate partition.  The rest can go in to a single root partition.
> Plus swap, of course.
>
> On my 200MB drive (/dev/sda), I currently have:
>
> /dev/sda1 Windows XP NTFS 90GB
> /dev/sda2 Extended partiton
>   /dev/sda5 swap 1GB
>   /dev/sda6 / 3GB
>   /dev/sda7 /tmp 5GB
>   /dev/sda8 /usr 10GB
>   /dev/sda9 /var 5GB
>   /dev/sda10 /home 40GB
>   unused
> /dev/sda3 Windows VFAT 5GB
> /dev/sda4 Windows Recovery VFAT 6GB (Recovery data)
>
> This last partiton doesn't ever get mounted.

Chris may be on to something... You might boot from the liveCD and check
all of your partitions. Which leaves another question that I should have
asked before: why are your / /usr /tmp and /var on separate partitions?
I know that there are reasons for doing this, just can't recall why ATM.