moving attached (embedded) email to mail folder

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Sat May 29 15:45:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, 28 May 2010 15:30:55 +0200 (CEST)
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)" <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> uttered these words:

> I am looking for a mail client, or a Thunderbird plugin, with a very
> specific feature.
>
> Sometimes I get emails that are forwarded as attachment (.eml files).
> I want to save the attached emails, not on the filesystem, but in the
> mail folder, and of course preserving all original mail headers.
>
> The only mail client that enables me to do this, is Microsoft Outlook.
> With MS Outlook up to 2003 I can select all attached mails at once and
> move them to a mail folder inside the mail client. With Outlook 2007
> and 2010 I have to do this for every individual email.
> This does not happen often (once or twice per week) but I don't like
> starting up a VM each time.
>
> Already tried Thunderbird, Evolution, Kmail, Claws and Squirrelmail.

You might try the solution on this URL:

http://filext.com/faq/decode_eml_files.php

but of course this would work with individual files only, as well.

I think your problem has got more to do with .eml files being a
Windows-only creation and Microsoft doesn't release the source code for
its file formats, so people dealing with free software would be
opening themselves up to litigation.

--
Graham Todd