Internet connection

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri May 28 10:56:45 UTC 2010

Alan Duval wrote:
> I have moved my home computer, which has Ubuntu 8.04lts installed, to
> an office which has a router connected to the reception desk and
> office. I find that I am unable to access the internet although the
> wiring is OK as plugging in a laptop running Win XP to the same
> socket establishes a connection.
>
> ifconfig shows the same ip address as at my home site
> (192.168.1.100), whereas ipconfig in the WIN XP laptop shows a
> different ip address (192.168.2.5).

Could it be that you set the IP address manually some time ago? Check
the file "/etc/network/interfaces". It should only have these entries:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Or maybe additional entries similar to the last one if you have more
than one interface. If there are manual settings, you could use the nm-
applet to change it to automatic DHCP connection. You should find the
nm-applet in the top panel, the icon with two computers IIRC.

Nils