Huawei E169 USB and GPRS

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri May 28 02:38:57 UTC 2010

On Friday, May 28, 2010 12:30 AM, Lucio Crusca wrote:
> Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>
>> Who uses Chinese crap?
>> I threw my Huawei made 3G mobile into the lake in
>> Windows of the World while I was on a paddle boat there. Good riddance.
>
> I'm new here. Are you a troll out of habit or is your behaviour reserved to
> newcomers?

Hmm, must have started feeling like a troll when the mainland government
began making its presence felt in Hong Kong. Something always over your
head, you know...kinda like how trolls under bridges feel.

>> Who needs 7.2mbit wireless broadband anyway when you can get 100mbit
>> wired broadband at one quarter the rate for wireless?
>
> Maybe you have the luck of a wired connection everywhere in your country,
> but I'm afraid you lack the intelligence to understand that the world out
> there can be a little different from where you live.

Actually, it is a perverse pleasure of mine to list what I pay for my
home broadband connection over here. Here goes:

Less than 13 USD/month (USD the only fixed rate here - love pegs) for
10mbit/10mbit unlimited (that means zero caps too) at the moment.

If I were not tied down to the current contract due to another provider
not yet having access to the building when I renewed it, I would be
paying the same for a 100mbit/100mbit connection instead. I guess that
also means I can get 1gbit/1gbit for under 26USD/month too when my
current contract ends.

Oh oh, I forgot, I could get crappy GPRS unlimited for around
16USD/month but people are always using the airwaves or something so
GPRS is essentially crippled and worse than a 9600 bit
modem...hmm...make that 4800 bit modem.

>> Psst! Install Jaunty. You know, I have not even upgraded to Karmic
>> for fear of getting a broken system.
> Psst! Shut up please. I did upgrade to the broken karmic and my crappy
> chinese dongle continued to work smmothly... my notebook got broken on jan
> 2010 when karmic was already installed and happily running since 3 months
> before...

Well, then, I guess I can now do-release-upgrade without too much fear.

>> Sorry, I don't have much to contribute
> Yeah, I had that clear enough from your 1st sentence.

Yeah, I transform whenever I hear any mainland company and Sony.

>> but you can post your problems
>> all you like, it won't get fixed or even looked at unless you file a bug
>> report.
> I'm not assuming this is a bug. Before I submit a bug report I usually ask
> others for possible solutions/workarounds and to check if it's my fault or
> not.

The current trend of posts seems to yell Lucid's fault. Regression party!

>> At least that is the impression I get with all the 'file a
>> report if you have a problem' posts I see...
> I've filed several bug reports. Some weren't bugs, some were bugs from my
> point of view but were the intended from developers' p.o.v., some others got
> fixed. No report went through without even being looked at.
>
> I hope your trolling is the consequence of a random bad day.

Nope. I get mood swings, this stuff comes out when I am out for
entertainment. Getting excited over the new 36 bay 4U server that is
coming with SAS ( couldn't wait for the SAS2 case - I'll just get
another SAS controller - multipath backplane :D ) ain't helping either.
I need to find a replacement method for destressing....

Oh, before I forget, welcome to the list! Nevermind me. You won't see me
making fun of your computer skills or lack of.