Goodbye Linux/Ubuntu

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Fri May 28 02:35:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:19 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 22:02, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the problem is Lucid specific and I cannot even start to
>> guess where the problem is since his case does not match any prior
>> similar experience I have. It ain't his Realtek nic on his Asus notebook
>> because he uses wireless and i have not used any wireless on Linux yet.
>> So it could be the routing code in the kernel (that's been a source for
>> this sort of thing before) or the wireless driver that come with Lucid.
>
> I agree that this is a Lucid specific problem, but for him.  I
> disagree that it's not his Asus notebook or Realtek NIC though...  Or
> at least, I don't think that the hardware configuration is not
> related.
>
> There's got to be something going on with his configuration and Lucid
> that wasn't present in previous Ubuntu releases.
>
> As data points, I have no problems at all with any torrent clients, or
> any other network transfer protocols on either my M15x (with Intel
> copper and wireless cards) nor on my Lenovo S-10 with Broadcom copper
> and wireless cards.
>
> And no one else here seems to have the isues the OP has either, on a
> range of different hardware.  So there has to be something specific to
> his hardware configuration and Lucid... the problem is, no one seems
> to be able to figure out what that is.
>
> My question is, falling back on the old "file a bug" thing is why has
> the OP NOT filed a bug yet, if he has not done so?  It seems that the
> logical place to start would be to file a kernel bug as this is most
> likely a driver issue.
>
> The next question is, why torrents?  Does he also lose connectivity if
> he tries, say, scp or ftp of large files concurrently?  Is it network
>
> I don't recall seeing whether he's tried any other network transfer
> protocol other than torrent to determine this...

On my machine ...
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.2GHz
RAM: 1GB PC2700
Mobo: PC-Chips
Chipset: SiS
GPU: 8x AGP Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 w/256MB DDR-RAM
BIOS: Pheonix
HDD: IDE 160GB Maxtor
NIC: Realtek 10/100 Ethernet
Sound: PCI Sound Blaster Live 24-Bit

I get poor performance during file copies, file downloads, updates, or
anything that requires a lot of disk activity.  SMART reports the disk
is healthy, and scans using disk tools from those LiveCDs loaded with
system tools find no problems.

Is Ubuntu 10.04 with Compiz Fusion active too heavy for my current
system?  I require Compiz Fusion for the enhanced desktop zoom which I
use due to my visual disability.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts