PItivi

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Fri May 28 02:00:30 UTC 2010

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2010/5/24 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com>:

>>> Have you tried DeVeDe?
>>>
>> Yes, a while ago, maybe a year or so. Maybe there have been some
>> improvements since then? I tried the version available in the Ubuntu
>> 9.04 repositories, so maybe there is a much newer version available
>> for Ubuntu 10.04. I'll have a look.
>>

>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>

> Tried it and it doesn't seem to suit my needs at all. Seems to be made
> with DVD etc in mind and that's not what I had in mind.
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

Ok, I didn't know what you had in mind.

For basic fade in / fade out or cross fade, the pitivi manual says that
it can do it.  Wipes and other fancy stuff is not supported yet.
According to the bug report in the manual, it is not a "prosumer"
feature that is much requesed.
I found the manual linked from the documentation page on the PiTiVi web
site:
http://www.pitivi.org/

If the version of pitivi in ubuntu does not do the cross fades, you may
need the most current version.

The other choice is cinelerra.  Steep learning curve, but I bet that it
can do just about anything you can think of.  There is an interesting
video tutorial of the making of a short video with cinelerra.  It uses
pictures, not video clips, but it really explains some of the concepts
that I found so difficult to get a handle on in the documentation.  My
suggested path to success:  Read the cinelerra documentation, think
about it, THEN look at the video and go from there.

The video podcast is on the Meet the Gimp site here:

http://meetthegimp.org/episode-132-cinelerra-in-japan/

Oh, by the way, the "In Japan" part is just because that's what the
pictures, the podcast is recorded by a German science teacher as his
hobby . . . in English