Goodbye Linux/Ubuntu

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Thu May 27 19:08:59 UTC 2010

2010/5/27 ABSDoug <absdoug at yahoo.com>

> It's been an over 1-year "love affair". I've told all my friends about it
> (none tried it). But now I've reached a point... what am I doing? I've spend
> endless hours trying to get torrents to work on Ubuntu Netbook 10.04.
> Torrents work fine with XP, stock settings on uTorrent, so let's not start
> in with the rounter, or that I need to turn down the # of connections,
> that's all been done. Version 9,10 worked. At this point, why would I fool
> with this anymore? None of the dozen computers I maintain for friends run
> Linux. In fact I don't know anyone personally who does. The only person (non
> professional) that is better at computers than me in using Windows 7. The
> concept seems REALLY cool, but Linux JUST DOESN'T WORK. Skype has always
> been a disaster. People complain MS is glitchy... a reboot usually fixes
> that. People complain of viruses... stop runing with Admn rights & MOST of
> your problems are solved. So what AM I trying to accomplish with Linux? It's
> faster, yes especially since I've got a netbook... but I use torrents a LOT.
> This should JUST WORK & if it doesn't... I'm gone.

One of the things that Ubuntu stands for is freedom in different flavours,
right? That should mean that you are free to use whatever operating system
you want and no one should force you to use a specific one. If you feel like
Ubuntu doesn't work for you, then it doesn't. Simple as that. There are a
lot of operating systems to try and a lot of them are Linux and some of them
are not. Maybe you are not ready for Linux yet or maybe Linux is not ready
for you, so feel free to come back any time and try again. You can always
set up a dual boot, of course (maybe you already did), and there are virtual
machines out there too.
Don't bother about some of the people on this list. People are just people,
and nothing more, everywhere, even in the different Linux communities. I am
not perfect either. Just listen to the good ones and ignore the rest. For
most of us you are very welcome back whenever you want, just like everybody
else.

Johnny Rosenberg