Lucid switchuser causes black screen

arshad arshad3m at gmail.com
Thu May 27 13:52:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 21:01 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> Can you test when you have a chance:
>
> $ sudo apt-get purge gnome-screensaver
>
> And see if that resolves the issue?
>
> If not, reinstall it:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install gnome-screensaver
>
> (of course you may have to logout/login)
>
> and then check your ATI hardware drivers (System|Hardware Drivers) and
> see if you are running a proprietary ATI driver? If so, uninstall the
> proprietary driver & reboot to see if it still occurs. Thanks.
>
> I was unable to reproduce on:
>
> ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
> ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X
> Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
>
> I am only able to reproduce on the NV25GL [Quadro4 900 XGL] w/the
> nvidia-96 proprietary driver installed. I've even tested with effect
> 'Normal' and 'Extra' (compiz working).

i did as you said,
except didn't reinstall the gnome-server package again.
but i did that earlier after 'uninstalling' gnome-server from s/w center
and nothing changed. i.e the problem was/is still there.

im thinking of moving to pclinux os. what do you think?
amazingly most of them seem to use kde there ;)