/etc/init.d/rtorrent problem

Dominik Psenner dpsenner at gmail.com
Thu May 27 09:02:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm fighting since some time now with rtorrent that won't come up using
the attached init script or a similar one that uses screen instead of dtach.

I installed it like this and it was indeed successful:
root at fuh:~# update-rc.d rtorrent defaults 99
root at fuh:~# ls /etc/rc*/*rtorrent*
/etc/rc0.d/K99rtorrent  /etc/rc2.d/S99rtorrent  /etc/rc4.d/S99rtorrent
/etc/rc6.d/K99rtorrent
/etc/rc1.d/K99rtorrent  /etc/rc3.d/S99rtorrent  /etc/rc5.d/S99rtorrent

The script is executable and all logfiles etc. exist. If I call it manually
all is fine:

root at fuh:~# /etc/init.d/rtorrent start
 * Starting daemon-ized dtach session for rtorrent               [ OK ]

But unfortunately this is not true for the init. The script is being called
(I can confirm that because the log messages are there) but somehow the
daemon is not started or does not survive at some later point. This script
here is now based upon dtach, but the same problem was prior there when
using screen. The ubuntu version should be a xubuntu 9.10.

Now to the question: WTF is going on there or what am I doing wrong? The
$PATH is fine and logging 'which rtorrent' was fine. I'm quite sure it
must be something with the init.d but I couldn't figure out until now
what exactly. Also because I don't know where to start searching for it.

My last assumption is that it might be due to wicd, that does bring up the
network device too late and without at least one active interface rtorrent
just crashes / terminates, tearing down the screen with it.

Any helping argue is welcome. :-)

Greetings,
Domi