update-grub help

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu May 27 02:48:01 UTC 2010

On 05/27/2010 03:23 AM, Goh Lip wrote:

> Re; use of "search xxxxx --set xxx " instead of "set root=(hdx,y)
> and /dev/sdxy" : trying to get you some definitive  information on this,
> but so far, most of this is "inferred"  through the grub developers
> mailing list and of course my own experience in failure to boot due to
> 'movement' in hdx,y and /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd, particularly in grub
> legacy. Will post to you if I get more information. But I am reluctant
> to send info that is not indisputatble.

Tom, refer https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID

First line writes:

Linux now prefers to use UUID (Universally Unique Identifier), LABEL, or
symlinks to identify media storage devices on a system. Directly using
/dev/hd*# or /dev/sd*# is no longer preferred since these device
assignments can change between system boots:

Regards - Goh Lip