Trouble with Netbook Ubuntu connecting to the Internet

ssc1478 ssc1478 at aim.com
Wed May 26 16:31:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle at gmail.com> wrote:

> J wrote:
> > On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 16:15, Jeffrey Needle<jeff.needle at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> Hello.  I've installed Netbook Ubuntu inside Windows (the second choice
> >> in the install menu on the .iso).  Installation went nicely, and
> >> everything was fine until I tried to connect to the internet.
> >>
> >> I have AT&T high speed internet service, with a router that wires my
> >> entire apartment.  Windows finds the wireless network just fine.  But
> >> Ubuntu is having problems.  I can't figure out how to get connected.
> >>
> >> I've tried with both Evolution and Firefox, but no success.  I've
> >> ensured that both apps were working in on-line mode.
> >>
> >> Any help you can be will be greatly appreciated.  I'm working on an HP
> >> Mini netbook.
> >
> > Open a terminal (under Applications/Accessories/Terminal) and run the command:
> >
> > lspci | grep Network
> >
> > Look at the output and tell us what it says.
> >
> > I'm willing to bet you HP has the Broadcom wireless card that has some
> > issues... not to worry though, if it is the Broadcom wireless card,
> > the problem can easily be resolved.
> >
> > The Broadcom wireless cards are fairly common these days among various
> > netbooks and laptops and you need a specific proprietary driver to
> > make them work that doesn't get intstalled by default (since it's
> > proprietary).
> >
> > If you'd like to go ahead and try, you'll need a network cable.  Plug
> > the netbook into the router (or your switch) directly and boot it up
> > into Ubuntu.  After it boots and you log in, you should have network
> > connectivity.
> >
> > Look in the System Menu under Administration.  Click on the "Hardware
> > Drivers" item.  This will launch a tool that will scan your hardware
> > and tell you what non-open source drivers you need to make it run.
> >
> > Look for something called STA Driver (or whatever driver it suggests
> > for your wi-fi card).  Click the driver, then click the button toward
> > the bottom right of the window that says Enable or Install.  It'll do
> > it's thing, then you close the tool down, reboot, Bob's your uncle,
> > and internets work.
> >
> > Of course, all of the above is predicated on you having a card that
> > does work with the non-free drivers.  I'm assuming your HP has the
> > broadcom wi-fi chipset.
> >
> > Either way, send the output of that lspci command so we can find out
> > what you do have for a wi-fi card.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Jeff
> >

> Worked well, except that Linux keeps hanging and breaking on me.  It
> won't boot every other attempt and I have to start it in repair mode.
>
> I'm going to abandon my Linux hopes right how.  Too much work to catch
> up on.

I have an HP Mini that I purchased in December with Win 7 on it.  Once
Lucid LTS came out, I installed the Netbook version on it.  I kept
having stability problems too.  I decided to reinstall Lucid, but this
time the desktop version.  I made sure to first boot using the LiveCD
(usb actually) and then take the link to install.  That way the
drivers for the broadcom card were installed during the install.

I've had no problems with it since.  It's been about a month now.

Phil