update-grub help

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Wed May 26 15:43:20 UTC 2010

On 05/26/2010 11:14 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 05/26/2010 10:10 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:
>

>> So I tried to boot from the revised grub.cfg and it failed with "error:
>> no such device" so I've commented out lines in
>> /usr/lib/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib so as not to generate search lines in
>> grub.cfg as described in
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:search
>>
>> But it still doesn't work. It now says "you need to load the kernel
>> first" and my googling hasn't answered that yet. The relevant stanza in
>> grub.cfg is:

Wrote to you separately as I do not want to mess up the previous
message.  If you noticed the reference to the launchpad bugs, I was one
of the 'reporters' of the bugs. I can assure you the bug has been
resolved long long ago.

What you did in removing the search line is wrong and you can rectify
this at karmic by doing again "sudo grub-install /dev/sda" and try again
if this boots to opensuse. But it's best you recheck the uuid (by sudo
blkid) with the grub menu. (partly why I want the previous message to go
first).

Also, I want to stress that using "search --no-floppy --xxxxxxxx" is far
better than using (hdx,y)/vmlinuz-xx xxxx  or set root=(hdx,y) which was
used by grub-legacy and is prone to errors as you have found out.

But, hope you got this sorted out and if all fails, "sudo grub-install
/dev/sda"

Good luck - Goh Lip