Grub Configuration

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 11:51:55 UTC 2010

>>> http://manual.sidux.com/en/sys-admin-grub2-en.htm
>>> http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20.html
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
>>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2
>>> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
>>> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Grub2
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2
>>>

>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
>>
>> This is the best information available for Grub2. It includes this for
>> example:
>>
>>      $ grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>> will list every partition on your hard drives, and from this you can
>> decide which partition to make default and then do so with:
>>
>>      $ sudo grub-set-default Linux 2.6.32-22-generic
>>
>> as an example. I think if you mess up your system, you can use these two
>> commands from a Live CD.
>>
> "Best" can be a subjective judgment. I have not read these links for a
> while but I remember them as *mostly* equivalent in content whilst
> some of them are presented out better than others - and therefore some
> people will prefer one page over another.
>
> The "grep..." command that you list above is hardly magical and if the
> instruction to use "grub-set-default x" does not include setting
> "GRUB_DEFAULT=saved" in "/etc/default/grub" then it is incomplete.
>
> So if you want to use grub-set-default while booted from a Live CD,
> you will have to mount the HD, change GRUB_DEFAULT, run update-grub,
> and run grub-set-default. You might need to be chrooted one or both of
> the last two.

     Nothing magic about grep, but what is magic is knowing WHAT to grep
:-)

     I recall seeing some examples where the partition your working with
needs to be chrooted to the LiveCD :-(

     I have " 23.1 `chroot': Run a command with a different root
directory" brought up in "coreutils.info" and perhaps I can learn what
chrooted means :-P

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI