Can't boot Lucid after upgrade from Karmic

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 26 03:46:53 UTC 2010

On 05/24/2010 09:57 AM, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On 23 May 2010 at 17:50, NoOp wrote:
>

>> On 05/23/2010 06:35 AM, Tony Pursell wrote:
>> > Most of the bugs that you mention do not result in a catastrophic
>> > failure to boot, that is why I don't think they are the whole story.  Also
>> > remember I can boot a live system from USB with no problem so I
>> > don't think there is anything basically wrong with the ATI graphics
>> > (even if they are not the worlds best).
>> >
>> > I am becoming resigned to having to re-install, but this is not a good
>> > thing for an operating system that aspires to replace Windows. Users
>> > should be able to update to the latest LTS (at least) without this
>> > happening.  So for the sake of Ubuntu's future, I would like to get to
>> > the bottom of this.  I will hang on for a while, before I re-install, to
>> > preserve the evidence, in case someone wants to look at it further.
>>
>> Not ignoring you... just have to think this one through a little closer.
>>

> Thanks. I'll be patient.
>
> Don't forget I can gather information by booting from the 10.04 live
> USB and I can also do command line operations when booted with
> the old 9.10 kernel (use apt-get, for instance).
>
> Tony

Can you boot to 9.10 cli and see if perhaps all the packages are updated?

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a

And then please provide the output of:
$ ls /boot -la

Let us know the results. You may end up having to re-upgrading, but
advise of the results of the above first.