Adding kernel parameters to _other_ OS in grub

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 02:21:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 05/25/2010 06:32 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Luis Paulo <luis.barbas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do grub-update. Note you'll have to maintain that (new or 40_custom) file.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> grub2's GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX only sets the update-grub kernel parameters
>> for the install where grub is installed (the output of 10_linux; in
>> your case Ubuntu) in the same way that grub1's defoptions only sets
>> the update-grub kernel parameters for the install where grub is
>> installed (the entries in between the "AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"
>> markers).
>>
>> So Luis' 40_... solution is the one to use. If 30_... is only
>> generating the Kubuntu entries and you do not ant them, you can set
>> "GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=yes" in "/etc/default/grub" before running
>> update-grub.
>
> I know that grub.cfg states:
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
>
> I wonder if in this case it might be easier to just add them to the end
> of the linux line(s) in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Of course you'd need to
> check/duplicate on new kernel updates. But you'd need to do similar with
> 40_custom as well.
>
> A better solution would be to have the ability for /etc/default/grub
> 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX' to recognise where to apply the parmeter. For example:
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=2,"quiet splash"
>
> where the '2' would reference the 2nd menuentry.

Editing 40_... would only be required if the kernel on the install(s)
being referenced by 40_... is(are) updated so it would entail less
editing that grub.cfg.

*If* the grub developers ever implement such a system, I would hope
that they would use GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT_hdxy and
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_hdxy to apply different kernel parameters to any
install on a box.