Adding kernel parameters to _other_ OS in grub

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Wed May 26 00:05:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:38 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I must be missing something obvious. I have read the docs [1] but I
> cannot figure out how to add a kernel parameter to the second OS on a
> dual-boot system with Grub2.
>
> Specifically, I have Kubuntu 10.04 on sda2 and Ubuntu 10.04 on sda1.
> The Ubuntu install on sda1 was done last, and grub was installed. I
> added a kernel parameter to the Ubuntu install in the
> /etc/default/grub file's GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line, but it was only
> added for the sda1 (Ubuntu) entries, not for the sda2 (Kubuntu)
> entries. I then booted sda2 (Kubuntu) and tried editing it's own
> /etc/default/grub (then running update-grub) but that did not add the
> kernel parameter either.
>
> What am I missing? Thanks.
>
> [1] These:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
> http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20/GRUB2%20Bash%20Commands.html
> http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152790
>
> Karl, please don't answer unless you have experience in configuring
> grub2. I don't need to be told that 10.04 is "not stable" or that
> grub2 is "not ready". Thanks.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://gibberish.co.il
> http://what-is-what.com

The way seems to be
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#User-defined%20Entries

Copy the entries you need from grub and put them on
/etc/grub.d/40_custom (or a new file), add there the kernel
parameters. Change the names (menuentry), so you may identify them
from the ones produced automatically.

Do grub-update. Note you'll have to maintain that (new or 40_custom) file.

Thus that helps?

Regards
Luis