Adding kernel parameters to _other_ OS in grub

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 25 21:38:08 UTC 2010

I must be missing something obvious. I have read the docs [1] but I
cannot figure out how to add a kernel parameter to the second OS on a
dual-boot system with Grub2.

Specifically, I have Kubuntu 10.04 on sda2 and Ubuntu 10.04 on sda1.
The Ubuntu install on sda1 was done last, and grub was installed. I
added a kernel parameter to the Ubuntu install in the
/etc/default/grub file's GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line, but it was only
added for the sda1 (Ubuntu) entries, not for the sda2 (Kubuntu)
entries. I then booted sda2 (Kubuntu) and tried editing it's own
/etc/default/grub (then running update-grub) but that did not add the
kernel parameter either.

What am I missing? Thanks.

[1] These:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20/GRUB2%20Bash%20Commands.html
http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152790

Karl, please don't answer unless you have experience in configuring
grub2. I don't need to be told that 10.04 is "not stable" or that
grub2 is "not ready". Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il