How do I get my MX870 Canon Printer to work with ubuntu?

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Tue May 25 04:54:45 UTC 2010

On Monday, May 24, 2010 9:23:05 pm NoOp wrote:
> On 05/24/2010 07:54 PM, Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Monday, May 24, 2010 6:22:47 pm Kurtus H wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have an MX870 Canon printer and am trying to get a ubuntu driver that
> >> will work with it. Can someone help me out with this?
> >
> > You can get it to work for a short time with TurboPrint but after I
> > foolishly bought it, it never worked again.  There was zero support from
> > them, ...I ended up using my Canon mp 560 as a coping machine as it is
> > worthless with Ubuntu and the only other OS around here is Palm 5.4.8 on
> > my LifeDrive!  BTW- Lexmark is declaring Linux compatibility on their
> > box!!  I love seeing the penguin on the box as hear sales people tell
> > me, "oh, it ONLY works with windoze"!!
>
> Oh nonsense! you were asked time and again regarding this issue with
> Turboprint & never responded.

Nonsense indeed, I responded every time.  the response was, 'I would click to
print and it would be more than 24 hours to print a single page.'  Support
asked me to remove and reinstall TurboPrint which I did taking also 23 hours
to remove and 27 hours to reinstall.  This was on Hardy.  This would happen
each time I removed or reinstalled the program.  I got zero for reasons why
this was happening.  I was using a LTS version.  Nothing else had a problem.
HP was printing within 30 seconds of pluging the printer in.

> I've always had *excellent* support and responses from Turboprint
> whenever I've asked (including license updates) and highly recommend them.

As far as I know the last message is still sitting there unanswered.  After a
couple of months I quit checking.  Of course I still own TurboPrint although
it doesn't work.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403