resetting mysql root password on 10.04

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Tue May 25 03:19:07 UTC 2010

Hal Burgiss <hal at burgiss.net> writes:

> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Ubuntu (and most linuxes):
>>>
>>> to stop mysql: /etc/init.d/mysql stop
>>>
>>> to start: /etc/init.d/mysql start
>>>
>>> Just like any service.
>>
>> I thought that now we use
>> sudo service mysql stop
>
> I suspect the 'service' thing is just a wrapper and the syntax I

/usr/sbin/service is a shell script. It first looks if an upstart
configuration exists for the job and falls back to traditional sysvinit
otherwise. As more and more packages get converted to use upstart it's
better to use 'service' instead of directly calling init scripts.

> quoted would still work (at least it does on 9.10, which is where I
> am).

In 10.04 mysql-server uses upstart instead of sysvinit, so your syntax
doesn't work there anymore.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/misc/mitte.html>