Lucid switchuser causes black screen

arshad arshad3m at gmail.com
Tue May 25 02:36:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 19:14 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/20/2010 11:20 AM, arshad wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 11:12 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> >> I just noticed that mine is doing the same again today. So the "fix"
> >> didn't work. I should have tested more yesterday. I'll keep watch of
> >> 546578 & post back if I find another possible solution.
>
> > thanks.
> > the fix didn't work for me either.
> > I'll wait for your update here.
>
> Arshad, are you by any change using an nvidia driver/gpu?
>
> After being chastised by Chris Coulson on 546578 and 5651538 (btw 560911
> is a duplicate of 546578), I did some tests. The only machines that I
> have the problem on are those with the nvidia-96 driver. So I removed
> the nvidia-96 driver and tested and now the machine switches between
> users w/o issue. I'm reinstalling the nvidia-96 driver & will let you
> know if that causes the problem again.
>
> Notes:
>
> - purged gnome-screensaver. Same problem.
> - reinstalled gnome-screensaver (2.30.0-0ubuntu2). Same problem.
> - purged nvidia-96. I'm able to switch between users correctly.
> - tested on machines w/o the nvidia cards & all work. So I suspect that
> it's something to do with the as always wonky nvidia proprietary drivers.
>
> Added note: just reinstalled the nvidia-96 driver & tested. Results are
> as in
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/546578/comments/81>
>
> So at least in my case it the nvidia driver that is causing the issue.

hi,
no i'm using ati.

and i ran some of the commands you did in #81
(not sure relevant though)

thanks

==================

mypc at mypc-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy xorg
xorg:
  Installed: 1:7.5+5ubuntu1
  Candidate: 1:7.5+5ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 1:7.5+5ubuntu1 0
        500 http://lk.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
mypc at mypc-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-core:
  Installed: 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7
  Candidate: 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7
  Version table:
 *** 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7 0
        500 http://lk.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
mypc at mypc-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy nvidia-96
nvidia-96:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 96.43.17-0ubuntu1
  Version table: