how to grab dv video from a camera to a lucid machine?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue May 25 00:15:10 UTC 2010

Mark Syms wrote:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 01:36:17 +0930
>> From: Winton Vandepeer <squareyes at harboursat.com.au>
>> Hi,
>> don't you need to connect with a firewire cable for  ieee 1394  ?
>> In your original post you said you connected via usb.
>
> Yes, most (if not all) dv cameras need Firewire to grab dv, USB is usually
> only capable of grabbing still shots from the camera. This may or course

Yes, perhaps that is where I am mixing this up. I haven't done this in a
while. I recall that there was a problem with the way firewire was
handled after a particular version of linux kernel. Also, since I have
transferred images as well from the dv camera in the past using the USB
cable, I might have mixed up the usb and firewire cables this time while
trying to transfer the dv files.

Anyway, I need to get hold of the laptop first so that I can have it for
a while and be able to boot in to Linux. I will report back how it goes.

Thanks.

ever having been read.