problem installing ubuntu 10.04 on new computer, /init: line7: can't open /dev/sdc

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 15:53:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/23/2010 09:39 PM, nma at 12000.org wrote:
>> Quoting nma at 12000.org:

>>> I did that actually.
>>>
>>> No problems. Also, when I burned the ISO image on windows 7, I asked
>>> for it to also verify the CD afterwords, and it did, not problem there.
>>>
>>> Windows is installed on /dev/hda
>>> I wanted to install linux on /dev/hdb, but never got the chaance to
>>> get that far, as installation hangs at start.
>>>
>>> I download debian ISO image, burn it, booted, and debian installed OK
>>> on the same PC.
>>>

>> UPDATE:
>>
>> I repeated the whole process. Downloaded the ISO image again,from
>> ubuntu web site. This time I burned it on a DVD-R instead of a CD,
>> using windows 7, verified ISO burn OK.
>>
>> Rebooted, Ubuntu installation spalsh screen came up, saw the little
>> dots below the ubuntu change colors as before, then they all became
>> solid colors, then I hear the CD drive spining louder, the monitor
>> went all dark, as if there was a crash, kept hearing the CD drive
>> working hard, and waited for 10 more minutes, nothing happened, screen
>> stayed dark.
>>
>> So, it is clear, 10.04 has a problem.  The computer is brand new, it
>> is HP Pavilion Elite HPE-270F
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-Elite-HPE-270F-Desktop-Black/dp/B003AIKPDG
>>
>> May be someone at ubuntu should try installing this iso on the same PC
>> to find what is the problem?
>>
>> --Nasser
>>

>     As I see your hard drive may not have partitions /dev/sdc or
> /dev/sde and not sure why it is looking for them. Let's try this :-)
>
>     Put in your LiveCD with Ubuntu 10.04 into the cd device and when
> booted clear up select to open gpart or a word like that under
> System-Administration. It will show you your whole hard drive and any
> partitions on it. You can fix problems with gpart and you can screw up
> things too ;-)
>
>     If there is no /dev/sdc click new and make it. If there is a
> /dev/sdc click on that and set it up with a ext4 file system and use the
> / selection for now at least. Up near the top of gpart it wants you to
> click to complete doing this. When done, the partition will work.
>
>     Now delete gpart and goto System-Administation-install. When it
> asks use a manual install. Choose to use /dev/sdc and it should load.

- press "enter" when you see the Ubuntu logo

hopefully it will lead you to the installation page...

- press "f6" for "special boot parameters" (or something to that effect)

- press "escape" to get the kernel boot line

- delete "quiet" and "splash"

- add "xforcevesa noapic nolapic noapci" before the "--" at the end of the line

- press "enter"

You might need to try different combinations or add other boot
arguments like irqpoll, nomce, ...