Forwarding local mail to external mail account?

Joe Sniderman joe262 at joe262.com
Sun May 23 13:44:28 UTC 2010

On 05/23/2010 09:07 AM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04, with exim4 and mutt installed. I can
> sucessfully send, receive and read local mail on this machine.

How about non-local mail?
I.e. can you send to, or receive from external sites?
If not, then forwarding to such sites (as in the case of your regular
email address) will likely fail as well.

> I tried to
> forward the mail from my local account to my external mail address, where I
> regularly read my mail. I did this by creating a .forward file in my home
> directory and put in my regular (external) mail address. However, I the
> messages never find their way to my external mailbox. Any hints or ideas?
> How can I check what's going on?

Log files, is exim attempting to connect to the external MX?  Is the
external server rejecting the mail, or what exactly is going wrong?

> Do I need to (re)configure exim4?

Probably.

> How?

That depends on the results of the troubleshooting.

--
Joe Sniderman (joe262)      PGP: 4096R/605721CA