Lucid switchuser causes black screen

emigrant fromwindowstolinux at gmail.com
Thu May 20 02:13:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 12:51 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 12:32 PM, arshad wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 12:17 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> >> This happened to me the other day on a 10.04 machine (nVidia & intel
> >> graphics). Odd part is that I could ssh into the machine & all seemed to
> >> work. I could also VNC into the machine and view the desktop. Updated
> >> gnome-screensaver from proposed and all seems to be working now. See:
> >>
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xorg-server/+bug/546578
> >> [black screen after a few user switches]
> >> Note: I mention my graphics because the bulk of that bug report points
> >> to ATI graphics; no ATI on this machine.
>
> > thank you for your reply Noop.
> > if that screensaver solved the thing would they include the patch in the
> > updates? and how long do you think it would take?
>
> Yes. It's already in proposed & you can use it now _if_ you enable the
> proposed repository. See:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
> [Updates Tab]
>
> However that will also show all proposed packages/package updates when
> you run update manager & if you don't feel comfortable using 'proposed'
> packages, I recommend not enabling it. You can use selective upgrading
> from proposed:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed
> [Selective upgrading from -proposed]
>
> The time for packages to go from proposed to recommended depend upon the
> package and issue. For some the change may be very fast, for others the
> change may never make it & some other version may.
>

> > and untill then, i think i don't get this problem, if i 'lock the
> > screen' and switch user and get into user 2. and log out back to user 1.
> > this way i don't get this problem.
>
> That worked for me as well.
>

> > thank you very much for your reply.

Hi Noop,
i configured the repo as mentioned in the link you gave,
and tried to install gnome screensaver. but it didn't get installed and
said its already installed.
so i uninstalled it and reinstalled it.
but still i have the problem and now even i get this problem when i
lockscreen and switch user.

btw. the lockscreen thing worked earlier only if i don't do anything in
the second user and just log out back.

thanks.