gconftool-2 and stopping/starting gconfd

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Wed May 19 20:43:32 UTC 2010

Hello,

I would like to set some default/mandatory gconf settings for all users
automatically. I know I can do the settings I need with commands like

  sudo gconftool-2 --direct \
    --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory \
    -t bool false \
    -s /apps/gnome-power-manager/can_suspend

This would set the configuration for all users, just what I want. The problem
is that the gconftool-2 manpage says that the --direct option requires that
gconfd is not running. This is a big problem for me, since I want to do those
settings automated, so I don't know whether any users are logged in into the
desktop.

Unfortunately, gconfd don't seem to have a manpage and google don't find
any really usable information, too.

So here are my questions:

  - given that /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory is opened by gconfd readonly,
    is it _really_ needed to shut down any gconfd processes?

  - If the answer to the previous question is "yes": do I need to throw
    the users out from the desktops to shut down gconfd? Or can I simply
    kill the gconfd processes?

  - Once the change is made, how do I restart it?