Lucid switchuser causes black screen

arshad arshad3m at gmail.com
Wed May 19 19:32:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 12:17 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 11:20 AM, arshad wrote:
> > hi.
> > i just installed lucid. and created several accounts.
> > switching from one account to the second and switching back to the
> > former ends up in a black screen.
> >
> > any workarounds out yet?
> >
> > thanks.
> >

> This happened to me the other day on a 10.04 machine (nVidia & intel
> graphics). Odd part is that I could ssh into the machine & all seemed to
> work. I could also VNC into the machine and view the desktop. Updated
> gnome-screensaver from proposed and all seems to be working now. See:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xorg-server/+bug/546578
> [black screen after a few user switches]
> Note: I mention my graphics because the bulk of that bug report points
> to ATI graphics; no ATI on this machine.

thank you for your reply Noop.
if that screensaver solved the thing would they include the patch in the
updates? and how long do you think it would take?

and untill then, i think i don't get this problem, if i 'lock the
screen' and switch user and get into user 2. and log out back to user 1.
this way i don't get this problem.

thank you very much for your reply.