Installing 10.04 to 2TB disk, does not boot

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 13:31:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:

>>> That's assuming the installer did everything else correctly...right now,
>>> an error message claiming no bootable disk seems to indicate zero
>>> installation of grub to any MBR of his disks...

>> That's one of the points I don't understand. As I understand the page
>> above, the installer doesn't need to understand anything at all. It just
>> tells grub to install in the MBR as usual and *grub* then notices the
>> GPT and the grub_bios partition and installs appropriately. So the
>> installer doesn't need to even recognize the fact that the disk has a
>> GPT, let alone have to do anything about it. But maybe I'm misreading
>> the article.

> The installer needs to know to check for the existence of a bios_boot
> gpt partition if the disk is GPT partitioned and warn/alert if not
> present and to stuff grub initial bootcode only into the MBR. I'd say
> the installer pretty much needs to recognize the fact that the disk is
> using GPT partitions and the MSDOS/PCDOS scheme of things.

If the installer is not using the bios_boot automatically, you
probably have to boot from a Live CD, chroot to the new install, and
set up grub one step at a time, rather than through grub-install, in
order to put core.img on the bios_boot partition. Alot of work that
the installer ought to do automatically!