Installing 10.04 to 2TB disk, does not boot

Matthias Brennwald matthias at brennwald.org
Wed May 19 06:39:00 UTC 2010

On May 19, 2010, at 2:30 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 18, 2010 09:18 PM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
>>
>> On May 18, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>
>>> Get a terminal, switch to root and let's try the following.
>>>
>>> mkdir /mnt/2tbroot
>>> mount /dev/sdd4 /mnt/2tbroot
>>> mount /dev/sdd3 /mnt/2tbroot/boot
>>
>> Aehm, /mnt/2tbroot/boot will not exist... ?
>
> Eh? I thought /dev/sdd4 was root....

Yes.

> So...was filesystem is /dev/sdd4 hosting? /home? /var? /usr? ???

Yes, but there was no /boot

> Actually, nevermind that. Which partition hosts /? Do you have a raid mirror that hosts / on another disk or something?

Don't worry, I partially gave up. I need to bring this system up and running, so I decided to use one single disk (smaller than 2 TB) for /boot (and the boot loader). This should allow booting my machine. The rest of the system will then go to a RAID5 on the remaining four disks (these will be 2TB). I can still tweak this into something more elegant once I fully understand what the core of the problem is.

Matthias