Appearance prefs 'reset' after about 30 seconds

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Tue May 18 16:04:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, 16 May 2010 22:21:21 +0100, sam tygier wrote:

> On 16/05/10 21:25, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
>> When I start my computer, Ubuntu 10.04 boots just fine. But about 30
>> seconds after my desktop appears, the appearance goes from this...
>>
>> http://www.arumes.com/temp/S1.png
>>
>> ...to this...
>>
>> http://www.arumes.com/temp/S2.png
>>
>> As soon as I start Prefs/Appearance, most of the settings are restored
>> without setting anything. Running the Appearance program is enough to
>> restore most. Nautilus (and the right-click menu on the desktop) seems
>> to be the only exception; it doesn't change back to the appearance I
>> selected, but stays in the looks of the second screenshot.
>>
>> It's 10.04, 64 bits, proprietary ATI driver, and visual effects are all
>> switched off. I didn't have this problem with 9.10, and I don't have
>> the problem with 10.04 NE on my netbook.
>>

> looks like gnome-settings-daemon is crashing, and the theme falls back
> to gtk defaults. there could be an interesting message in
> ~/.xsession-errors
>
> can you put it on http://paste.ubuntu.com/

http://paste.ubuntu.com/435606/

I'm sorry for the delay, but the error didn't occur at all yesterday.
And today, after two boots with the error, the third attempt booted as it
should again. So it doesn't happen all the time.
This did enable me to extract the part of xsession-errors that's linked
to the error, which is pasted as requested.

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com