Installing 10.04 to 2TB disk, does not boot

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 13:45:08 UTC 2010

On 05/18/2010 07:01 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>
>> Dave Howorth wrote:

>>> Would you mind pointing out the specific message?
>>>
>> The OP used the alternate installer because he wanted RAID
>>
> Right, but Matthias is not using RAID for this attempt.
>

>> debian installer does not yet properly support gpt (or at least, the
>> version that ubuntu uses since there does appear to be a fix/recipe for
>> gpt in Debian's some time late last year)
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/506670
>>
> I don't really understand all that. It seems to be saying that lucid
> should work as long as there is a grub_bios partition, which Matthias
> has created and as described at
>
> http://grub.enbug.org/BIOS_Boot_Partition

> I'm not yet very familiar with Ubuntu. That link seems to show a fix in
> grub2 1.95+20070505-1 as of June 2007, or am I misunderstanding it? And
> lucid uses 1.98? As at:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/source/lucid/grub2
>
> Did the fix get lost somewhere?
>
> So I'm still not understanding what the problem is for a non-RAID lucid
> install where the grub_bios partition has been created?
>
> Sorry for my denseness,
> Dave

     Your not dense Dave. I have I Think learned that the new 2TB hard
drive does not accept the old standard DOS message for the boot section
of the hard drive.  It needs a gpt message. Alas the Ubuntu software
does not know how generate and use gpt. Perhaps in the next version.

     The work around is to force grub to use a partition edge to boot
from. Grub can do this and it has worked for years under Grub1 and I
assume Grub2. It is a bit clutzy but it works.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User