undo LVM

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue May 18 09:52:09 UTC 2010

Luis Paulo wrote:
> You made a good point, I agree.
>
> I was thinking that luks was a file encryption software, now I saw it
> encrypts a partition (As I said, I know nothing about luks or
> encryption)

I don't know anything either but Michel said it was the whole disk.

>> As its full disk encryption,
>> /dev/sdb is the disk with the encrypted volume on

> As far as I understood, from what was said, there is no reason to
> think lvm has messed any of the luks information

Well, the LVM is /dev/sdb1 so if what Michel wrote earlier is accurate,
the entire LVM is inside the encrypted volume. So the LVM metadata has
definitely overwritten some data. Since the encrypted volume won't
mount, it seems likely that it was actually metadata. Even if it wasn't,
I doubt whether overwriting a block in the middle of an encrypted volume
loses just one block because encryption normally scatters information
around. But maybe there's some error-correction or backups for metadata
or something. Basically Michel needs to be looking for recovery tools
for the encrypted volume. All this LVM stuff is a red herring.

Cheers, Dave

PS Of course, as long as he's working on a cloned disk, there's no
danger whatever he does. He's just wasting time.