Installing 10.04 to 2TB disk, does not boot

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue May 18 09:37:01 UTC 2010

Matthias Brennwald wrote:
>>> Error: The backup GPT table is corrupt, but the primary appears OK, so that will
>>> be used.

I haven't used GPT disks much and specifically I've never tried to boot
off them (deliberately :) !) but I think this article is a reasonable
explanation of GPT and backup GPT tables etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

I suspect you overwrote your backup GPT table when you were doing MD
RAID experiments. Anway, it certainly seems like something overwrote it.

> I thought I'd need this partition to install GRUB2 on a GPT disk, so I made it (manually) and did grub-install /dev/my2TBdisk. How can I tell if I am actually using it?

You don't have anything on the disk that you care about do you?

I would use gparted to write a new partition table (make sure not to use
the default msdos type but select a GPT table instead).

Then I would just start a fresh install and leave everything to the
installer and hope it knows what it's doing! :)  (unless there are known
problems) Just my 2p.

Cheers, Dave