Linux gaming: support it NOW

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Tue May 18 06:46:59 UTC 2010

On 05/13/2010 04:57 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 13 May 2010 12:48, Avi Greenbury

>> Er, buy what exactly? There's no details of any pay-for products there,
>> just a promise of native steam on Linux.

     Part and Parcel of Steam coming to Linux is that Source is also coming to
Linux.  Source is Valve's game engine behind Half-Life 2, Portal and Team
Fortress 2.  Chances are current customers who have all of those will get the
Linux versions for free.  I believe this is how it is working on the Mac port
of Steam/Source.  But for those who haven't gotten Valve's games, this would
be a perfect time.  TF2's pretty much the model of how to support an FPS.

> Although it is not released yet, it is important for those who would
> like to promote desktop Linux to know that a native Linux Steam client
> is in the works. If for no other reason, than _not_ to bug the Windows
> client to run in Wine.

     This, too.  But to be fair the best part about this is that Linux will
now be counted natively when the Steam hardware survey comes around.  :D