transfer files to another user - same machine

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 17 23:54:49 UTC 2010

Rei Shinozuka wrote:
> use sudo s to get around permission problems.
>
> foo is the old existing user and bar is the new existing user intended
> on being a clone of foo
>
> sudo rsync -rp /home/foo /home/bar
>
> followed by
>
> sudo chown -R bar /home/bar
>
> -rei

Thanks. However I wish to exclude the .config, .gconf, gconfd, gnome2,
.gnome2_private etc (user specific application configuration files in
the process) so that I end up with the basic folders as well as the
other .xyz folders (.cups, .blender etc) copied over. Any suggestions on
how to do exclude those?