transfer files to another user - same machine

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 17 23:23:15 UTC 2010

I've a situation on my main user account whereby there is something in
the config files that keeps giving me fits (gnome-panel won't start
automatically unless I add it to the startup applications for example).

I have messed with that account until I'm blue in the face, so I've
created another user account on the same machine from scratch and in the
process of copying all of the files from that account to the new one.

Q. How can I copy all except the .config .gconf etc., folder over in one
wack? I have the main account mounted in .gvfs (via sftp) and can copy
folders at a time (rsync seems to run into permission issues).
  I realize that I will run into some app config issues by not copying
the .config folders etc., but that's OK & to be expected.

Suggestions?
Note: (the machine is 10.04 - gnome - upgraded from dapper through lucid)