My slowest machine now running Ubuntu 10.04

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Mon May 17 09:38:27 UTC 2010

Hum...

On 16/05/2010 20:05, Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010, Christopher Rob JONES wrote:
>

>>> I've configured 1GB swap... and the machine... swaps like hell... I wish
>>> I could add more RAM, but I've maxed it out, I think. Anyways, it was
>>> mostly a proof-of-concept test.
>>>
>> try xfce via xubuntu instead of a full gnome session (ubuntu). Requires
>> less resources.
>>
>>  > sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>>
>> Chris
>>

> I agree. I have a machine with less RAM than that, and it runs great with
> Xubuntu.

So... Installed xubuntu desktop.

Logged into Xfce... Noticed one difference with default GNOME... Xfce
has one panel on the desktop (bottom bar)... GNOME uses 2 by default. So
I removed one from GNOME and put everything (like Xfce does) into a
single pannel. Then I removed all the 4 virtual screens and the virtual
screen selector... both in GNOME and Xfce.

Then I did a test :

Boot. Wait till hard disk stops activity.
Select session (GNOME or Xfce) and log in.
Wait till hard disk stops activity.
Open a shell and launch "top".
Look at Mem used and Swap used.
Both are now at 0 Swap (this is good).

Mem used in GNOME : 292560
Mem used in Xfce : 271196

Who says GNOME is a hog? Just 20MB more. And one of the boots actually
had GNOME using 266390 MB of RAM. :)

Now I need to tune what services I really need. :)

Gilles.