undo LVM

Michel Racic michel.racic at gmail.com
Sun May 16 22:06:08 UTC 2010

Hi Tom

Thanks for explaining the process of manual LVM setup.
Just to repeat the facts, vgdisplay and pvdisplay show the partition
but lvdisplay doesn't have any output.
This seems to me that the installer did just the step with pvcreate
(which wrote the LVM headers to my encrypted disc) and vgcreate which
added the pv to a group but the last step with creating a logical
volume hasn't been done by the installer because I aborted the
installation as soon as I saw the mess I created.

You suggest pvmove to move any data but I think that is meant if the
pv actually was used in an LVM setup or did I get that wrong?

I don't use the VG that this PV is in, so I don't care about the LVM
stuff (in the meaning it is not a disc I want to take out of a
productive LVM setup) but I need to get to the data on that disk and
its a ext3 FS but encrypted with Luks.

Just to get my situation from the Thread:
The disc was in use as a Luks encrypted partition and I just
accidentaly added it to a LVM group but if I open the device in
hexedit I see that the Luks header should still be OK but I don't know
how to recover the partition header that I can mount it again with
cryptsetup.

Regards Michel