hot new laptop for ubuntu 10.04, and detecting DDR3 memory?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun May 16 20:09:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, 16 May 2010, Karl Larsen wrote:

> On 05/16/2010 10:42 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 May 2010, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >

> >>       My year old HP CQ50 laptop has according to lspci has VGA
> >> Compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
> >> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev7).
> >>
> >>        I have loaded 9.04 and up to 10.04 without a single video
> >> complaint. I will look for the Intel in my next laptop.
> >>
> >    given that i asked originally about a different laptop with nvidia
> > graphics (not intel), what possible value could your random blithering
> > have, karl?  and, no, replying that *someone* out there might be
> > interested in that information is not a defense for polluting *this*
> > thread.
> >
> >    for the love of god, karl, take everyone's advice and get a blog
> > where you can spew irrelevancies to your heart's content.  or just get
> > a bucket and a squeegee and go yell at passing cars or something.

>          Why do you continue to play policeman Robert? For the love
> of God please stop complaining!

  karl, i am not the only one who's tired of your senile ramblings.
numerous others here have asked you to (how to put this politely?)
shut the fuck up.  i am simply in the unenviable position of
remembering your participation on the fedora list, where you similarly
insisted on dispensing useless, irrelevant and, on more than one
occasion, horrifically bad advice that, had it been acted on, would
have resulted in some poor bastard trashing his system, and inspired a
number of knowledgeable members of that list to post frantically,
warning any unaware readers away from your disastrously bad counsel.

  and that's the biggest problem, karl.  it's not that your
contributions are uninformed, useless, inane and decidedly off-topic,
with no redeeming value whatsoever. it's that they're *dangerous*, and
woe unto any new list member who isn't aware of that and decides to
take your advice.

  and even when you're not being dangerous, karl, you're being utterly
useless.  you're like the drunk who lost his keys down the street but
looks for them under the streetlight because the light's better there.
when someone asks a specific question, your astonishing ignorance
doesn't stop you from addressing it, but because you know nothing
about *that* topic, you simply ignore the question and insist on
addressing the one supplied by the voices in your head.  case in
point:  i asked about nvidia graphics cards, you thought it important
to let me know what you thought of your *intel* card.  what the fuck
*for*, karl?  what possible value did your posting have?  zero.

  i'm just a bit miffed about this because i remember you from the
fedora list, karl, and i remember how you -- single-handedly -- made
that list a less productive forum with your rambling and your
horrifically bad advice.  mostly, i remember how you relentlessly
berated other, far more knowledgeable list members because they
committed the cardinal sin of somehow not appreciating your dizzying
intellect.  it's just deja vu all over again.

> This is NOT blog material!

  you're right, karl -- your earlier posting was *not* blog material.
it was too vacuous and mind-numbingly useless even for *that*.

rday

p.s.  if anyone cares, there were a number of fedora ML members who
seriously proposed banning karl, for a couple of fairly compelling
reasons.  the first, of course, was his perpetually bad advice, which
on many occasions would have inspired some poor newbie to totally
trash his system.

  the second (and, IMHO, more important) reason was that karl, through
his ignorance, was constantly screwing up his system and breaking it,
upon which he would *inevitably* blame the OS and accuse it of being a
bug-filled, error-ridden piece of junk that should never have been
released.  and intelligent fedora devotees were getting *really* tired
of having their preferred distro constantly bad-mouthed like that and
getting a bad rep.  any of that sound familiar?

  if the ubuntu ML admins have any sense, they will simply remove
karl's posting privileges, but allow him to remain a read-only member.
maybe then he'd actually take the time to *read* the postings by
people who know what they're talking about.

  i am, however, not optimistic.  as i said, i've seen all this
before.