hot new laptop for ubuntu 10.04, and detecting DDR3 memory?

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun May 16 16:23:10 UTC 2010

> On Sat, 15 May 2010, NoOp wrote:

>>>    my check for virtualization is to simply look for the corresponding
>>> "svm" or "vmx" in the flags in /proc/cpuinfo.  are you suggesting
>>> there's more to it than that?  i guess i'll follow those links above
>>> and see what's happening.
>>>
>> Worth checking further :-)
>>
>    apparently.  while i might be prepared to bend a bit on other
> features, virt is an absolute deal-breaker.
>

>> Also check:
>> https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=dv7-3085dx
>>    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/109113
>> and be aware that that laptop most likely has a Conexant CX20582 (or
>> CX20583 (Pebble) audio chipset. If you follow Zongo's&  my posts on
>> sound with these devices you'll see that there are issues (sound comes
>> from headphones&  speakers at the same time, if modified internal mic
>> doesn't work etc).
>>
>    typically, when i'm looking for a new laptop, i'm willing to
> compromise (slightly) on features that don't quite work if a) i don't
> really need them, or b) i know they're being worked on and i can be
> patient.  for instance, i've been told that the official nvidia
> drivers will give better performance than the default nouveau drivers.
> but i tested the laptop in the store with a live ubuntu 10.04 cd, and
> the nouveau drivers worked fine in giving me the full 1600x900 res.
> so unless i suddenly get involved in serious gaming, that issue
> doesn't bother me (if it is, in fact, an issue at all).
>
>    but the virt stuff -- yes, that's something i need to check.  better
> not take me too long, though -- this is a refurbished unit on sale, so
> someone else might snap it up while i'm researching.
>
> rday

     My year old HP CQ50 laptop has according to lspci has VGA
Compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev7).

      I have loaded 9.04 and up to 10.04 without a single video complaint.
I will look for the Intel in my next laptop.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User