Can't add applets to panel in 10.04 :-(

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sat May 15 22:46:41 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 04:45:53PM +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:03:46 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:

> >> Right-click on the top panel, and select "New Panel".
> >
> > Doesn't work also. And there are two more defects:
> >
> >  - I can not move the panel to another border, which worked fine in
> >  9.10. - The panel goes only about 60% of the screen width although I
> >  have clicked
> >    that is should run for the whole screen width.
> >
> > Seems like there's something really messed up here. But this is a fresh
> > install. In the first install, even the menus with the applications and
> > settings were missing.
>
> Seems like the installation itself isn't very reliable. I had some
> problems on the first attempt too, which disappeared at the second
> attempt.

In the meantime, I have made some 15 installations from scratch, all with
similar results. Sometimes the panels are _completely_ empty, sometimes the
main menu and the settings menu are available but none of the applets which
used to be available for years in older ubuntu releases. In all of those
installs, I was _never_ able to add any applet to the panel.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of alternate/desktop CD, crypted/normal
swap crypted/normal homedir and some more esoterical ideas. Each time I've
done a fresh install from scratch and took special care to be up-to-date.

> All I can advise is to try another install, preferably after you checked
> the md5sum of the CD.

In the meantime I tried about 15 fresh installs and checking md5sum was
one of my first actions to do.