thoughts on hot, new ubuntu laptop?

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Thu May 13 23:56:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 15:14, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>  i need a new laptop anyway, so i'm looking at one of these:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01896913&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4041797
>
> anyone have any thoughts on whether there would be any show-stopper
> issues with running ubuntu?  mostly, i'm always worried about video
> card issues, and i definitely want to dig into multimedia apps.
> thanks.

The only thing that stands out to me is the nVidia card, but it should
work just fine using the actua nVidia drivers (*installable via the
System/Administration/Hardware Drivers tool).  I have a GT 240 M in my
laptop and it works just fine at full resolution using the nVidia
driver... the nouveau driver on works at lower resolution (and I have
a 1080P LED lit screen) but the nVidia drivers work at full
resolution.